The program accepts a limited number of highly qualified applicants for the fall semester of each year. Applications for fall semester are accepted between October 1 and May 1. Don't put off your application! We admit qualified students into the program as we receive the applications (rolling admission).
All applicants are required to either have an undergraduate degree in recreation, parks, tourism, or a closely related degree; or at least one year of full-time professional work experience in the profession. Students who otherwise qualify but lack a related degree and/or need supplemental background information will be given additional readings and assignments due by the end of the fall semester Foundations course.
To be considered for admission, applicants must also show proof of earning:
- A minimum of a 3.0 GPA in a baccalaureate degree or for the last 60 semester units (90 quarter units) of undergraduate work (or over your entire bachelors or previous masters degree).
Students must apply for admission to both the University (http://www.sfsu.edu/~gradstdy/) and the Department.
Applicants must submit the following documents to the University.
- A University application (http://www.sfsu.edu/~gradstdy/domestic-application-submission.htm)
- Transcripts of all academic work
- All international students will be required to achieve a minimum score of 80 out of 120 on the internet-based TOEFL (IBT) exam or equivalent or 7 on IELTS exam.
Applicants can check the status of their SF State University Application by going to the Graduate Division website (http://www.sfsu.edu/~gradstdy/) and clicking on the "Check Your Admission Status" link at the bottom of the page.
Applicants must also submit the following to the Department (for more details see the FAQs)
- A Departmental application: https://sfsu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eRRTUzfJ8qBexuJ. As part of the applicaiton you will be asked to upload:
- A statement of purpose
- The dates that the Department should expect to receive your official transcripts, GRE Analytical Writing score, and TOEFL score (international students only). The code for submitting scores to SF State is 4684/
- Three letters of recommendation
- At least one letter from an academic and one from a recreation, parks, and/or tourism practitioner
- Letters must be submitted on letterhead with the reference’s current contact information directly to the Department
- Send your letters via email: email@example.com or regular mail: Dr. Jackson Wilson, Graduate Coordinator; Department of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism; San Francisco State University; 1600 Holloway Avenue; San Francisco, CA 94132.
Your application will be reviewed only when it is complete. You will be notified via email of your application status within two weeks of receipt. Written notice will be provided if accepted or not (during summer this may be delayed 2-3 weeks). Note, there are strict application deadlines for each semester.
In order to maintain enrollment in the program, a student must do the following in their first Fall semester:
- Develop a graduation plan and have it approved and signed by their advisor
- Make substantial progress toward meeting plan requirements, including taking RPTA 200 and RPT 720
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or greater
For more information about the application process go to the admission FAQs.
For Further Information, Contact:
Dr. Jackson Wilson, Graduate Coordinator
Department of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue San Francisco, CA 94132